Student Visa

The Student (subclass 500) visa

The Student (subclass 500) visa was introduced on 1 July 2016 as part of the reform. The seven subclasses of student visa applicable to different education sectors were merged to create the Student (subclass 500) visa. These were:

  • 570 Independent ELICOS sector
  • 571 Schools sector
  • 572 Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector
  • 573 Higher Education sector
  • 574 Postgraduate Research sector
  • 575 Non Award sector
  • 576 Foreign Affairs or Defence sector.

From 1 July 2016, overseas students who wish to study in Australia apply for the Student (subclass 500) visa, regardless of which education sector they are enrolled.

To be eligible for a student visa applicants must, among other things, demonstrate that they are seeking to enter Australia for the purpose of study and that they will abide by the conditions of their student visa.

Any student with this visa can easily apply for different full-time courses including Higher Education, Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), admission in primary or secondary school and post graduate research degrees in a recognised education institution.

Visa Eligibility Criteria:

Enrolment in a registered course of study. Applicants need to enrol in a course of study, which is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Financial capacity:

Applicants must have the legal evidence of their financial capacity that shows they are eligible to pay their course fees and living costs of their dependent family members.

English proficiency:

It is mandatory to provide evidence of English language skills with the visa application or when asked by an officer otherwise the visa will be refused.

Closely controlled welfare arrangements for all the students under the age of 18:

Students under 18 years of age should have evidence of organised welfare arrangements to stay in Australia.

Accompanying Family Members:

Applicants and their family members can make a combined request in the student visa application or they can apply to join them later. It is essential to have the necessary funds on hand to support the accompanying family members living in Australia and also for those after the grant of the student visa (such as new born baby).

Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement:

This requirement serves as a reliability measure that the student visa program is used as projected and not for a temporary stay in Australia.

Health and character:

Applicants need to undergo health examinations as a part of the visa application process. This may consume quite a few weeks to complete. Also, the applicants are required to answer some character related questions that will be used to assess their character.

Overseas student health cover:

Applicants are required to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) a week prior to the date they are supposed to arrive in Australia.

What You Can Do With This Visa?

  • You can study full-time in a recognised institution in Australia.
  • You can bring your family members under limited circumstances
  • You and your family members will be given work rights depending on your course type.
  • Your partner (if found eligible) can also study in Australia for three months.

Australia Visa Choice have always provided professional and high quality services to the people seeking higher education or career in Australia. Being registered with MARA, our company never fails to stay updated with the rules and regulations of the Australian immigration.

    Etiam magna arcu, ullamcorper ut pulvinar et, ornare sit amet ligula. Aliquam vitae bibendum lorem. Cras id dui lectus. Pellentesque nec felis tristique urna lacinia sollicitudin ac ac ex. Maecenas mattis faucibus condimentum. Curabitur imperdiet felis at est posuere bibendum. Sed quis nulla tellus.


    63739 street lorem ipsum City, Country


    +12 (0) 345 678 9